Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Unraveling the Mysteries of Art

The London Art Museum and Portrait Gallery was one of the most interesting museums I have ever had the pleasure of exploring. The immense collection of fine art tends to take one’s breath away when your eyes first catch sight. There are paintings from most famous names in the art world such as Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh. I personally liked Monet’s photographs the most although possibly my favorite painting was by another artist whose name I seem to have misplaced. I will try to find the name but until then I can only describe the setting to you. The scene is that of a coast and the setting sun low on the horizon igniting the sky in a multitude of fiery shades. The ocean water was a light and crystalline blue hue and glistened from the sun’s light. This setting really spoke to me and was a place that I quickly found desperate to find. I had found a new paradise to seek out. This level of skill and artistic expression was one with which I had never met the likes of previous to this visit. I noticed that many artists expressed themselves through paintings of religious vision. There were many paintings of saints, priests, Jesus, and other holy figures strewn throughout this museum. One reoccurring scene that I saw was of Christ driving the traders from the temple; which was over 400 years old. Not only did these paintings have skill, they had age old skills that have bested the trials of time and still awe art connoisseurs when viewed today. Surprisingly, the most beautiful thing about these paintings is not their visual appeal but, instead the stories that they tell. You can see classic tales unfold from painting to painting. Each painting has a story behind the story to be told and this is what makes them all the more exciting. Luckily, for those that did not brush up on their history there are plaques next to each picture explaining what is going on. I could have spent all day unlocking the stories hidden deep within each painting and in fact I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment